Monday, March 1, 2010

On the Road Again. . .

Phil got another job and it took him to Atlanta, in April he packed up the truck and drove out. Here are pictures from his LONG (and he said BORING) Road Trip! Our family usually likes road trips, but I guess its a different story when you are on your own.

Just after a storm on the prairie of Nebraska
Of course, can't miss out on the original Cabela's
St. Louis, MOMissouri River

Nashville, TNFor those of you who have made this trek across the country. . . well I can't say I feel for ya, because I don't really know what it was like, but our condolences straight from Phil's heart. He said it was something to mark off his list and never do it again. (Though I don't think he would be against an RV road trip across the country - but when we start planning that trip, I will remind him what he is getting all of us into)
Phil's luck with work was still not going so well. Carpet was slow for a few reasons - his knee really set him back and then of course the economy. The work for Rob in Portland was a good job, but things weren't going that great for the company. We talked about sending him back to school, but Phil was never one to enjoy studying. He didn't feel like he could commit to it. So a friend mentioned to Phil that APX was a great summer job and he should try it out. (For those of you who don't live in Utah, APX is a security system company and the job was selling door to door). OK, so maybe it would have been great IF we didn't have kids, IF Karen didn't have a job, IF we didn't have a mortgage to pay, IF Phil liked selling door to door, oh, the IFs could go on forever. Fact of the matter is, Phil hated the work, and HATED being away from the family. We would talk nightly, but I could see as the days went on, that he was getting more and more depressed. This was harder than being away in Portland, because he didn't have the weekend trips back home. By the time he got home each night, the girls were already in bed, so he never got to talk to them. And last but not least, he missed his dog, Maggie.
After 7 LONG weeks, Phil headed back home (to save time and space, I won't repost the pictures, but if you'd like to take the road trip back with Phil, just scroll back up and you can get the jest of it). Selfishly, I wished that he had stayed for two more weeks. I had plane tickets for the girls and I to fly out there. I had never been to Atlanta (other than a 2 hour layover in the airport). I wanted to see where he was living and take the girls to do some fun things. Also, I had 3 weeks off of work and I was looking forward to it. I was disappointed when he called me one night and told me he was half way home. (Oh don't worry, the disappointment lasted only for a few seconds and then it kicked in that I would get to see my husband again. Did I mention that it had been 7 LONG weeks?!?!)

No comments: